Here is a sequence of drills to help build the proper muscle memory for the Strike and Block.
In the video clip below Jim Garnham, University of Buffalo Assistant Coach/Throws; Coach of 2015 NCAA National Champion Jon Jones (shot put). Shares his key coaching points in two drills that he uses to teach his throwers.
The first drill is Hand Strike Drill. Key coaching points include:
- Both feet pointed in the direction of the throw
- No hip drive
- No left arm
- Do not drop the elbow
- Let the fingers snap through
- The hand should move from and inside position to an outside position with the thumbs down
The second drill is he Block Drill. Key coaching points include:
- Pull the palm of the left arm towards the armpit
- Bring left elbow tight to the side
- As you bring the left side in the right side fires
- Make sure to keep the right elbow up
- As before get an inside out action with the right hand
Coach Garnham was a long time successful high school coach and produced multiple state champions before moving on to the college ranks. He has produced training DVD that this clip was taken from. For more information about that DVD click the link Teaching and Coaching Glide and Rotational Shot Put
The YouTube video below has audio, so please make sure your speakers are turned on and that you have access to the site. Note that some schools block access to YouTube.