Strength training is important for runners. Having a comprehensive strength training program designed specifically for your runners will not only improve performance but will also help to prevent injuries.
In the clip below you will see 14 core strengthening exercises that are designed to help runners maintain proper posture throughout the race. The clip is from Runners Connect. You can find many other tool to help you run faster and stay healthy by clicking on the link above. You can also view other video like this one by checking out the Runners Connect YouTube Channel
There are coaching points for each exercise to help you get your athletes in the proper position so that the can receive the maximum benefit from each exercise and reduce the risk of injury. Fro several of the exercises there are modified versions demonstrated. These may be used if the excercise is too difficult of the athlete.
The YouTube video below has sound, so please make sure that your sound is on and that the volume is turned up. Also note that some school block access to YouTube. You may need to contact your network administrator to gain access.
The following is a list of the exercises demonstrated in the video above.
1. Front Plank(Prone Position)- hold for 1 mnute
2. Front Plank with leg lifts – 1 minute alternating on each leg for 10 seconds
3. Reverse Plank (Supine Position) – hold for 30 seconds
4. Reverse Plank with leg lifts – 3 times hold for 10 seconds. Repeat for other leg
5. Side Plank (Side lying prone position) -30 seconds each side
6. Side Plank with leg lifts – 3 leg lifts each hold for 10 seconds. Repeat for other leg
7. Front Plank with one leg bent – 20 times each leg
8. Hip Thrusts – 20 times each leg
9. Donkey Kicks – 1 minute each leg
10. Fire Hydrants – 1 minute each leg
11. Knee Circles – 1 minute each leg
12. Back Extensions – 10 times, hold for 5 seconds
13. Opposite Arm Opposite Leg – 15 times each side
14. Double Eagles – 10 times on each side